Welcome: No matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here. Church of the Open Arms gladly welcomes all persons regardless of color, ancestry, age, gender, sexual or affection orientation, ethnicity, national origin, disability, familial status, or political perspective.
Denomination: The UCC (United Church of Christ) is the most progressive protestant Christian denomination. www.ucc.org. We are often confused with “Church of Christ,” but the UCC is unrelated to this denomination.
Mission Statement: To follow in the reconciling ministry of Jesus as an inclusive, justice-seeking community.
¨ To provide hospitality
¨ To practice inclusiveness
¨ To love and support each other
¨ To be faithful to the teachings of Jesus
¨ To reach out and care for others
¨ To encourage each other
Founding: Our first service was April 13, 1997 after a small group of people decided to start a new church which would be open and welcoming to all. Rev. Kathy McCallie was our founding pastor, and served for 17 years.
- First worship service of Church of the Open Arms on April 13 in Mayflower sanctuary
- Welcomed into the United Church of Christ Denomination by the Oklahoma Association
- Moved from Mayflower UCC to 1212 N Hudson where we began renting space
- Purchase of our current 3131 N Penn building. First service Oct 14, 2001.
- 1st Homosexuality & Scripture Conference in which the KKK planned to protest
- Opened our “client choice” Food Pantry, organized by Sharon Doan
- Installation of our elevator to make our building more accessible to all
- Loss of our founding pastor, Rev. Kathy McCallie
- Welcomed Rev. Victor Force as our interim pastor
- Installed Rev. Kayla Bonewell as our settled pastor