Welcome: No matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here. Church of the Open Arms gladly welcomes all persons regardless of color, ancestry, age, gender, sexual or affection orientation, ethnicity, national origin, disability, familial status, or political perspective.
Denomination: The UCC (United Church of Christ) is the most progressive protestant Christian denomination. www.ucc.org. We are often confused with “Church of Christ,” but the UCC is unrelated to this denomination.
Mission Statement: To follow in the reconciling ministry of Jesus as an inclusive, justice-seeking community.
¨ To provide hospitality
¨ To practice inclusiveness
¨ To love and support each other
¨ To be faithful to the teachings of Jesus
¨ To reach out and care for others
¨ To encourage each other
Founding: Our first service was April 13, 1997 after a small group of people decided to start a new church which would be open and welcoming to all. Rev. Kathy McCallie was our founding pastor, and served for 17 years.
- Dreams & Visons for a new church began on Ash Wed.
- First worship service of Church of the Open Arms on April 13 in Mayflower sanctuary
- Church has RAIN teams and trainings, serving individuals impacted by HIV/AIDS
- First Mission Trip to Nicaragua in August
- First Fall “All-Church Retreat”at Central Christian Camp in November
- Welcomed into the United Church of Christ Denomination by the Oklahoma Association
- Moved from Mayflower UCC to 1212 N Hudson where we began renting space.
- Began hosting “Dogs for Diversity” Annual dog contest & cookout
- First Youth Group started meeting every other Sunday afternoon.
- Purchase of our current 3131 N Penn building. First service Oct 14, 2001.
- 1st Homosexuality & Scripture Conference in which the KKK planned to protest
- Opened our “client choice” Food Pantry, organized by Sharon Doan
- Began offering two Sunday morning services, 9:15am and 10:45am
- New All-Ages Sunday School program begins 9:50-10:40am
- Celebrated our 7th Anniversary Jubilee at Petroleum Club
- We were a test-site church for the UCC’s new “God is Still Speaking” Campaign
- Hosted the Soulforce Equality Riders and attended rally at Oklahoma Baptist University
- 10th Year Anniversary celebration at Omniplex
- Open Arms Theologies Book Published
- Began our “Godly Play” Kindergarten-5th grade Sunday School class.
- Hosted the Soulforce Equality Riders
- Two-Spirit HIV/AIDS Support Group begins meeting at our church
- Renovation of nursery and children’s rooms
- Renovations to our basement
- 15th Anniversary Celebration
- Installation of our elevator to make our building more accessible to all
- Open Arms becomes a UCC “Green Justice Congregation”
- Food Pantry moves into new space in the basement
- Hosted Soulforce Equality Riders
- Implemented our welcoming of sex offender’s policy
- Loss of our founding pastor, Rev. Kathy McCallie
- Welcomed Rev. Victor Force as our interim pastor
- New Beginnings Assessment during interim period
- Installed Rev. Kayla Bonewell as our settled pastor
- Launched a combined Cathedral of Hope & Church of the Open Arms Youth Group
- Multimedia upgrade in sanctuary
- 20th Anniversary Celebration